[Toulibre] US Supreme Court Invalidates Patent For Being Software Patent

Laurent GUERBY laurent at guerby.net
Jeu 19 Juin 18:05:59 CEST 2014

Bonjour,

Il faudra un peu plus d'analyse mais sans doute
une raison de celebrer pour le logiciel libre :

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/13pdf/13-298_7lh8.pdf
<<
The patents at issue in this case disclose a computer-
implemented scheme for mitigating “settlement risk” (i.e.,
the risk that only one party to a financial transaction will
pay what it owes) by using a third-party intermediary.
The question presented is whether these claims are patent
eligible under 35 U. S. C. §101, or are instead drawn to a
patent-ineligible abstract idea. We hold that the claims at
issue are drawn to the abstract idea of intermediated
settlement, and that merely requiring generic computer
implementation fails to transform that abstract idea into a
patent-eligible invention. We therefore affirm the judg-
ment of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal
Circuit.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/06/19/1522228/us-supreme-court-invalidates-patent-for-being-software-patent
http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2014/06/19/scotus-rules-alice-software-claims-patent-ineligible/id=50120/

Sincèrement,